Fall can be a busy time on the farm, but it only takes a few seconds to be sure everyone stays safe. Follow these tips to protect lives and equipment:
- Keep equipment at least 10 feet from lines – at all times, in all directions.
- Inspect the height of the farm equipment to determine clearance.
- Always use a spotter when operating large machinery near lines.
- Use care when raising augers or the beds of grain trucks around power lines.
- Always remember to lower extensions to the lowest setting when moving loads.
- Never attempt to move a power line out of the way or raise it for clearance.
- If a power line is sagging or low, call the local utility immediately.
- If your equipment does hit a power line, stay in the cab. Call 911, warn others to stay away and wait for the utility crew to cut the power. If a fire or other situation makes it necessary to leave, jump clear and move away.
When in doubt, contact your local electric co-op for help. Find more electric safety tips at everydaysafe.org.